All About Learning Press

Programs that teach thoroughly, so your child can succeed amazingly

We’re putting the finishing touches on All About Reading Level 2! It should be available at the end of September.

Here’s one of my favorite activities from the activity book. Feed the Anteater is in the first lesson, and it’s a great way to review the words from Level 1 before we start in on new concepts.

Click on the graphic to download the activity sheets.

After you print the file, color Andy the Anteater, if you’d like, and then cut along the short dotted lines to create two horizontal slits: one under the anteater’s mouth, and the other on top of the anthill. Cut apart the word strips on the dotted lines.

Take one of the word strips and weave it through the slits. The words will appear on the front of the anteater activity. Pull the slip up from the back, so one word is revealed at a time.

Now the fun begins! Your child can read the word aloud, then pull up the slip from the back to reveal the next word. You can also make longer word strips by taping together several of the word strips.

Continue until the anteater has “eaten” all the ants on the word strips. Feel free to make slurping noises every time an ant is eaten. I did.

Do you think you and your child will enjoy this activity? Let me know in the comments below, or click “Like”! If there is enough interest, I’ll post more activities from All About Reading Level 2. Sign up for our newsletter to make sure you receive all of the freebies!

About Marie Rippel

Marie Rippel, curriculum developer of the award-winning All About Reading and All About Spelling programs, is known for taking the struggle out of both teaching and learning. Marie is an Orton-Gillingham practitioner, sought-after speaker, and member of the International Dyslexia Association. When not writing or teaching, Marie can be found riding her Icelandic horses.

Comments

Speak Your Mind

Want your photo to appear?
    Get a Gravatar!

Current ye@r *

1. Meghan Hunt says:

We are working on level one spelling right now so this will be great extra practice of these words!

2. This looks like a great way to work on cementing our reading of these words with our twins :) I am on a super limited budget with moving from Canada to the US and have downsized majorly to accomplish it so these freebies are a God send!

3. Pam in Missouri says:

Looks like a lot of fun. Will definitely try this with my kiddos. Thanks for the download.

4. My son saw me downloading this — cannot wait to play with him. He still pulls out the monster to feed — and we are well past that lesson. ;) Thanks for sharing things like this!

5. Just bought all about reading Level 1! Can’t wait to try it.

6. My daughter will love anything that comes with icky sound effects!

7. I know my 4 older children will love this game. Can’t wait to try it with them this week.

8. This looks great. Aria would probably love this. She has been requesting “learning time” at bedtime rather than story time.

9. Christine says:

I really love the resources that All About Learning provides! Clearly this company is standing for a positive, effective reading experience.

10. This little guy is our new classroom pet…we call him Arnie. We feed him his words every morning. Love this!!!!

11. Heather C says:

This looks awesome!

12. Care Martin says:

Oh, this looks like such fun! I’m downloading now, and will be printing this afternoon to play with my son tomorrow morning! Thank you for offering this for download!

13. Looks like alot of fun! Thanks

14. Katherine Galvin says:

This is so cute. My daughter will love this.

15. Audrey Bryk says:

YAY! We love anteaters :) Looks like so much fun.

16. What a creative way to practice words!! Loving it!

17. Meghan Rondeau says:

This looks great! Can’t wait to use it, thank you!

18. HEATHER BRANDT says:

Love this new freebie & have filed it away to use in the next couple of years with my children :)

19. Kelly Levesque says:

Looks fun!

20. Thank you so much for the freebie. I think my son will like it only if he or I make the slurping noises! HA! We are patiently waiting for level 2 to come out. I thought it was coming out at the end of Aug. or beginning of Sept. and then I read on this post that it won’t be out until the end of Sept. Sad face. But I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

21. We’re finishing up AAR1 now, should be done in a week or two. Then starting AAS1 and awaiting AAR2. We’ll definitely enjoy this free game. We just finished up an insect unit, and learned all about ants and anteaters, so it’s quite perfect. Thanks so much for the freebie! :)

22. Sharon Bazzell says:

My son will love this game!! He loves feed the monster.

23. Always love more!!!!!!!!

24. So glad to try out this new game. We have finished level 1 and are anxiously awaiting level 2! Thanks a bunch!

25. just played the game with my son. he enjoyed it. we taped it all together to make a really long strip and then i rolled it up in the back as he poked them through. we made of funny sentences about what the word had to do with the ant and i made sound effects to complement our sentence. fun times!

26. This will be perfect school starts next week and AAR2 wont be ready until late September so we will be reviewing AAR1 until 2 is ready. Thanks for the fun game. And we would love to see more.

27. i am so sad that it is going to be the end of September :( i had really been hoping it was going to be the beginning. we LOVED AAR1 but have been finished for a few weeks and are ready to get started on AAR2!! we are just reading stories and playing old games and reviewing words. i can’t find any readers the are decodable and challenging enough for a child that has completed AAR1. most decodable ones seem to only have 3 letter words. and non-decodable readers are so frustrating because they are full of “site words” or words he had not learned the phonics rules for yet. has anyone one found any good readers for this stage??

• Carlyn, have you started All About Spelling yet? After AAR 1 is a great time to start spelling. You can review concepts but also teach things on a deeper level because you are focusing on encoding and spelling rules rather than decoding. Some people are enjoying this as a bridge until AAR Level 2 is ready.

• yes! we love AAS(we are in the middle of level 1), we have been using it as well. i was just interested in more reading practice. my son has read all of the stories in the 3 level readers several times now. i thought about ordering the level 2 readers, but i didn’t want him to get sick of those stories before we even started level 2.

• That makes sense. It IS hard to find enjoyable decodable readers at this level. When my kids were young, we used Bob Books, Sonlight’s Fun Tales, DK early readers (they had a book for each vowel that was cute–I remember Mig the Pig and Zug the Bug…), and Christian Liberty Press’s K readers. Some of these I borrowed from friends. None are as beautiful as Marie’s books, unfortunately, but they can give more practice with easy words.

Another thing we did was to take words they knew and make up our own little books (you can fold a piece of paper in quarters or staple some pages together). I would put words or phrases on them (you might even be able to do this with some of the dictations from AAS), and let my kids draw or glue on a picture to go with. They liked the idea of making their own books.

28. My children love games; my oldest is already asking what’s printing in anticipation…thanks!!

29. Looks like a game my DD is going to love!

30. Jennifer S says:

I got the download, thank you! Manipulatives make learning more fun for everyone!

31. Nikki Douglas says:

This is a cute idea! Thanks for sharing with us. We love the games in All About Reading pre-level 1 and can’t wait to get to levels 1 and 2.

32. Thanks! I bet my son would love it (when we get there, or if I modify it to do with other words). We just did the “Feed the Monster” that’s in an early lesson of AAR1, and he thought it was so great that he put him back in the box to “sleep” so we could feed him again tomorrow.

33. I always am looking for new ideas to help my son along. He just seems stuck in a certain area of reading. I couldn’t even really start a new program because I would have to start in the middle. But I love all about spelling, all about reading just seemed to come along at the wrong time for us. Thanks for the download. Gives me a chance to see what it has.

• we tried 2 other phonics programs before AAR and my son was still struggling. we got AAR and started on lesson 15 since he had not problem with the 3 letter word, and i think that is the first lesson that introduces a blend. i have not regretted it. of course i knew i could use it for my daughter so i don’t feel like i was wasting my money on parts i would not use, but as much as it help him, it would it again even if i did have my daughter to use it later.

34. Alyssa loves anything educational and games are no exception. She would get a kick out of this game! This is a prefect way for us to review before beginning Level 2. She just saw an anteater at the zoo – she will be thrilled when I pull this out and I am sure she’ll make a few connections and tell me stories. Oh, I hope to see more goodies. I will have to wait and read the newsletter. Thank you for sharing this game with us all. I look forward to seeing samples of All About Spelling 2.
    God bless,
    Tracey M.

35. I bet my daughter will like this! We have to get through AAR 1 first, though. It should be here in the next day or two. :-) I’m so excited to get started! She’s really liked practicing with the pre-k samples. LOVE IT! (We jump roped syllables instead of clapping…her idea!)

36. When I tried to download it, Adobe said the file was damaged and could not be repaired.

• Becky [AALP] says:

Hi Nikole,
      Everything seems to be okay on our end with the download. I would suggest checking your internet connection, re-starting your browser, then trying the download again. You can also try right-clicking and selecting “save link as” or “save file as” in the menu that appears. Wait for the file to fully download before trying to open it.
      I hope this helps! Let me know if you are still having trouble and I’ll try something else for you!

37. What a fun game.

Click to Add Your Comment

Trackbacks

1. [...] available this Friday, September 28, and it includes dozens of motivating reading activities like Feed the Anteater, Be a Lumberjack, and Word [...]

2. [...] the Feed the Anteater game is still available from All About Reading as [...]

3. [...] tried this one on for size recently… Such a cute idea with the anteater and then to have the strips of ants [...]