Spring is Here!
Springtime is that wonderful time of year when life bursts forth—trees and flowers bloom, lambs and calves are born, and baby chicks emerge from their eggs.
And here’s a great way to hatch some springtime fun in your kitchen!
In this ABC Snacks recipe, your little ones will enjoy an easy-to-prepare “craft” that they can eat when they’re done! These sweet little chicks are not only cute, they’re delicious, too.
And best of all, while you’re preparing this protein-packed snack, you can spend some time practicing the sound of the phonogram /ch/ together, too.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this snack for your whole family:
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- slivers of olives
- slivers of carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- Hard boil 6 eggs.
- For easier peeling, cool hard-boiled eggs in very cold water immediately after boiling.
- Carefully peel cooled eggs and cut the eggs in half (length-wise).
- Remove egg yolks and place into a bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, and salt and pepper to the egg yolks. Smash until well blended.
- Cut one corner off a plastic baggy and place the deviled egg mixture into the baggy.
- Squeeze the baggie to fill the empty egg halves with the deviled egg mixture.
- Insert olive slivers into the eggs to create eyes.
- Create beaks and feet by inserting carrot slivers.
- Take a picture of your cheery chicks, and then gobble them up!
Want More Snacks for CH?
Find snacks for CH and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!