E Is for Excellent Egg Salad Sandwich
Eggs pack a protein-filled punch of goodness, and this delightful snack idea provides a super-fun way to encourage your preschoolers to eat their eggs.
One of the heartiest snacks in my ABC Snacks Series, Excellent Egg Salad open-faced sandwiches are easy to prepare and fun to eat.
You can use our egg salad recipe or come up one of your own, but either way, be sure to encourage your children to be creative as they turn their sandwiches into edible portraits…maybe they can even make their sandwich look like mom or dad!
Our culinary assistants had a great time working on their egg salad faces, but they had an even better time gobbling them up when it was time for lunch!
Excellent Egg Salad Sandwich
Here’s what you’ll need to make two open-faced sandwiches:
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ teaspoon mustard, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or sandwich dressing, or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sandwich thins, English muffins, or preferred bread
- Sliced veggies for faces (sweet pickle, celery, carrot, olives, etc.)
- Peel and chop or mash two hard-boiled eggs.
- Stir in mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- Spread egg salad on sandwich thins or other bread.
- Create faces on egg salad sandwiches with veggie slices.
- Alternate recipes or ingredients for egg salad may be used.
- Use dill pickles instead of sweet pickles.
- Tuna or chicken salad would also work well for this snack.
- Use other veggies to create your faces, such as red pepper slices for a mouth, peas for eyes, shaved carrot for hair, and so on.
- As you and your child spread egg salad on your sandwich, practice saying /ĕ/–/ĕ/– excellent egg together.
- Before your preschoolers form faces on their sandwiches, have them form the letter E with pickle slices.
- You can have fun talking about eggs and where they come from while you read this book about The Odd Egg.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks that Start with E?
For snacks that start with E and many more, get the entire series of ABC Snacks Cookbooks with more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!