F Is for Fun-lovin’ Fish in a Stream
Are you fishin’ for a great kid-friendly snack idea?
Your preschooler will flip over this fun snack from my ABC Snacks Series—fun-lovin’ goldfish flipping in a stream of crispy celery and ranch-flavored veggie dip.
And Fun-lovin’ Fish in a Stream is one recipe that kids can make from start to finish, from washing the celery to mixing and spreading the dip to placing the last fish in the stream.
But don’t expect your fish streams to stick around for too long.
Kids love the tasty ingredients and can’t resist plucking goldfish out of the stream and popping them in their mouths. In fact, you might want to make a few extras!
Fun-lovin’ Fish in a Stream
Here’s what you’ll need to make three fish streams (1 serving):
- One stalk of celery cut into three shorter segments
- 1 packet ranch dip mix, mixed according to package instructions
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 9-12 goldfish crackers
- Clean and trim one stalk of celery for each child.
- Cut celery stalk into three shorter lengths.
- Prepare ranch dip according to instructions.
- Fill the “trench” of each stalk of celery with approximately one tablespoon of ranch dip.
- Arrange goldfish crackers in your ranch dip stream.
- Substitute ready-made ranch dressing or dip, or a filling of your choice. Other options include whipped cream cheese, cottage cheese, or peanut butter.
- Use any variety of goldfish crackers.
- Use a frosting bag to fill celery stalks with dip.
- As you and your child work on your ranch dip streams, practice saying /f/–/f/ – fun-lovin’ fish together.
- Before placing them in your stream, form the letter F with your goldfish.
- Can you think of a fish that starts with the letter F? Read A Swim through the Sea together to find one.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks that Start with F?
For snacks that start with F and many more, get the entire series of ABC Snacks Cookbooks with more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!
Photo credit: @_ourlittlehomeschool_