I Is for Instant Insect Nibbles
If your little ones squeal at the sight of a bug, this recipe might be just what you’re looking for!
Try calming their fears by introducing these colorful, ladybug-inspired Instant Insect Nibbles into your snacktime.
Your junior entomologists (and even your bug haters!) will gobble up this delicious, easy-to-create snack. And with a healthy snack like this one, you won’t mind letting your little bug catcher have more than one.
If your family is buzzing about this fun recipe, be sure to try more of the kid-friendly snacks featured in my ABC Snacks Series. We’ve put together more than fifty snacks designed to help you teach your preschooler about the alphabet. Dig in!
Instant Insect Nibbles
Here’s what you’ll need to make four insect nibbles:
- 2 large or 4 small cherry tomatoes
- 4 black olives
- 4 round crackers
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese, or hummus
- 1 stalk of celery
- Spread cream cheese or hummus on each round cracker.
- Cut each cherry tomato into two or four pieces depending on the size of the tomato.
- Form the ladybug’s head by placing one whole black olive in the cream cheese on the edge of a cracker with the hole facing up.
- Form wings by arranging two tomato pieces beneath and to the left and right of the olive head.
- Dice an olive into tiny pieces. Dot each wing with the pieces.
- Form the antennae by slicing slivers of celery. Insert two slivers into the hole of each black olive.
- Add a bit of garlic salt or parsley to the cream cheese. Instead of celery, use scallions or chives for the ladybug’s antennae.
- Try a sweet version of this snack. Spread whipped cream on a cookie for the base. Use sliced strawberries as wings and blueberries or blackberries for the head.
Adapted from Taste of Home
- As you build your insects, practice saying /ĭ/–/ĭ/–instant insect together.
- Before adding the celery slices to your insects, use them to make the letter I.
- While you snack on your cute ladybugs, read The Grouchy Ladybug, a story about a ladybug with a bad attitude.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for Letter I?
Find snacks for letter I and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!
Photo credit: @_ourlittlehomeschool_