Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep! And I think we may have found him!
Let your little one practice the sound that SH makes with this tasty snack from our ABC Snacks series. This showy sheep recipe brings together crisp veggies and creamy cottage cheese to create a snack that is rich in nutrients and big in taste.
And just like Bo Peep’s sheep, this cottage-cheesy creation comes home to your kitchen, wagging his tail behind him! It’s a fun, hands-on snack for even the smallest ones to enjoy.
Counting sheep helps you sleep, so while you assemble your snack, why not add a bit of counting practice? Count the celery pieces as you put them on the plate. Then you can count how long it takes your little lamb to devour this little lamb!
It doesn’t look like it will take June very long, does it?
Showy Sheep Snack
Here’s what you’ll need to make this snack for one child:
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small carrot
- 1 slice white cheese
- Place ½ cup cottage cheese on a plate to form the sheep’s body.
- Create the sheep’s tail with a small dollop of cottage cheese.
- Cut an oval from a slice of cheese to form the sheep’s head.
- Cut two rectangles from a slice of cheese to form the sheep’s legs.
- Cut a triangular notch from the end of each leg to form the sheep’s hooves.
- Position the sheep’s head and legs on the plate.
- Slice a stalk of celery into 3-inch strips.
- Position the celery slices side-by-side at the bottom of the plate to create grass.
- Position small pieces of cheese to form ears.
- Use a blueberry for the sheep’s eye.
- Slice a small carrot into thin rounds.
- Position several slices of carrots on the celery to form flowers.
- Top each carrot round with a blueberry.
Adapted from CreativeKidSnacks.com
- While you enjoy your showy sheep, practice saying /sh/–/sh/–showy sheep with your child.
- How many words can you think of that start with the sound of /sh/ as in sheep?
- Nancy Shaw’s Sheep Out to Eat is a great book to read while you snack on your showy sheep.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for SH?
Find snacks for SH and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!
Photo credit: Rachel Neumann