A Is for Appetizing Alligator
If the sight of vegetables makes your little one say “see you later, alligator,” this snack is for you!
Alligators dream of eating lunch with their big teeth and powerful jaws, but this healthy and delicious recipe turns the tables on those ravenous reptiles.
It may be a healthy treat, but assembling and eating this appetizing alligator is an adventure, and I don’t think you’ll have any trouble convincing your kids to stick around for the fun!
And though alligators and preschoolers both turn up their noses at a plate full of vegetables, your little ones won’t be able to resist this adorable snack. If the look on our small cook’s face is any indication, this snack recipe is a winner!
Appetizing Alligator Veggies and Dip
Here’s what you’ll need to make this snack:
- 1 large avocado
- 1 large and 1 small cucumber
- 1 black olive
- 1 carrot
- 1 green bell pepper
- salt and pepper
- Cut avocado in half length-wise and remove pit.
- Spoon avocado out of shell and set aside shells.
- Mash avocado and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill one half of the shell with mashed avocado mixture. Place on plate to form the alligator’s head.
- Slice cucumbers, bell pepper, and carrots.
- Chop slices of carrots into teeth-shaped pieces.
- Use two small cucumber slices to form eyes at one end of the filled avocado.
- Use carrot pieces to form teeth around the edges of the filled avocado.
- Position the remaining cucumber slices behind the avocado to form the alligator’s body and tail.
- Position four bell pepper slices to form the alligator’s legs.
- Stir any of your favorite guacamole ingredients into your avocado mixture.
- Use zucchini slices instead of cucumber.
Want More Snacks that Start with A?
For snacks that start with A and many more, get the entire series of ABC Snacks Cookbooks with more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!
Photo credit: Rachel Neumann