A Is for Ants-Go-Munching
Your kids are going to LOVE this fun (and kind of gross) snack idea!
Like most of my ABC Snacks, this one pairs healthy yet yummy eating with a hands-on recipe that preschoolers can help create. Include foods from every food group, and Appetizing Ants-Go-Munching could even be lunch instead of just a snack.
The built-in flexibility of this snack makes it a great one for children with allergies and food sensitivities. There’s plenty of room for creativity—and of course, there’s lots of room for fun.
Nobody likes to have uninvited guests at a picnic, but this is one lunch that won’t be ruined by the ants!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this snack for one child:
- Muffin tin with six compartments
- Six kid-friendly food options: lunch meat, mac-n-cheese, cheese slices or cubes, carrot sticks, celery sticks, ranch dip, peanut butter, apple slices, grapes, berries, cookies, apple sauce, pudding, pretzel sticks, etc.
- Ants: any small, dark food like raisins, craisins, sunflower seeds, mini chocolate chips, blueberries, etc.
- Place a muffin liner in each compartment of the muffin tin.
- Fill each compartment with a single food option.
- Create a munching army of ants using the ant of your choice from the list above. Make sure your ants munch their way through all your food options.
- Be creative! Any food can be substituted for the foods suggested above.
- This recipe can easily be altered to fit special food needs and personal preferences.
Adapted from Life Is Fantasmic
- As you and your child arrange your army of ants, practice saying /ă/–/ă/–appetizing ants together.
- Can your preschooler create the letter A out of your imaginary ants?
- Sing the traditional “Ants Go Marching” song together as you work. Here’s a book that might help.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for Letter A?
Find snacks for letter A and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!