C Is for Creeping Caterpillar
Who wouldn’t love this multi-legged variation of the classic PB&J sandwich?
These Creeping Caterpillar Sandwiches bring the tried-and-true combination of peanut butter and jelly together with a unique flour tortilla twist!
Whether you use this recipe to make a mid-afternoon snack or a wholesome lunch, your little ones will be squealing with delight as they make and devour these edible creepy (and cute!) crawlies.
And if you love this fun recipe, be sure to try all my ABC Snacks.
There are lots to choose from … we’ve created more than 50 snacks! And this one is one of Mabel’s favorites!
Creeping Caterpillar Sandwich
Here’s what you’ll need to make one caterpillar:
- Soft 10-inch tortilla shell
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons jelly or jam, any flavor
- 1 cherry tomato
- 2 yellow bell pepper slices
- 10 orange bell pepper slices
- Black food marker to create eyes (or use black olive or mini chocolate chips)
- Place the tortilla on a plate. Spread with a layer of peanut butter.
- Follow with a layer of jelly.
- Roll up the tortilla and slice it into four or five pieces.
- Have your child place tortilla rolls on the plate in a curvy caterpillar shape.
- Using a dollop of peanut butter as glue, attach the cherry tomato (caterpillar head) and yellow bell pepper strips (antennae) to one end of the caterpillar’s body.
- Have your child arrange the orange bell pepper slices (legs) around the caterpillar’s body.
- Use a black food marker to draw eyes on the caterpillar’s head. (See dye-free alternatives below)
- This sandwich can be made with any ingredients you prefer: egg or tuna salad, lunch meat, peanut butter, etc.
- If you don’t have orange and yellow peppers, use whatever veggies you have on hand to create legs and antennae.
- Instead of using a black food marker, create eyes with small pieces of black olive or mini chocolate chips.
Adapted from Food.com
- As you and your child create your caterpillar, practice saying /k/–/k/–creeping caterpillar together.
- Can your child arrange the peppers or the cut sandwich pieces into the letter C before you build your caterpillar?
- Read a caterpillar book together. The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a delightful old classic.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for Letter C?
Find snacks for letter C and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!