CH Is for Cheesy Mac Bites
It’s a kid favorite with a twist!
Kids love macaroni and cheese, and this is a really fun (and wholesome) way to make and eat this always-popular lunchtime classic!
We try to keep things natural and healthy in our ABC Snacks recipes, and this one is no different. We even added a surprise ingredient to make this recipe healthier and to add a seasonal twist.
And Jackson agreed that adding a little bit of pureed pumpkin to these Cheesy Mac Bites made them even yummier.
So if you’re in the mood for some old-fashioned comfort food that is healthy and delicious all at the same time, this recipe is for you. I hope you’ll enjoy these Cheesy Mac Bites just as much as Jackson did!
Cheesy Mac Bites
Here’s what you’ll need to make eighteen Cheesy Mac Bites:
- ½ pound elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ can pureed pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pan, combine butter and flour over medium heat. Whisk until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Slowly add milk and bring to a simmer. Add 1 ½ cups of cheese, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta, cheese sauce, and pumpkin until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon mac and cheese into muffin tins. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before gently removing the bites from muffin tin.
Adapted from Chef In Training
What’s your child’s favorite comfort food? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
Want More Snacks that Start with CH?
For snacks that start with CH and many more, get the entire series of ABC Snacks Cookbooks with more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!
Photo credit: Rachel Neumann