Here’s a warm, wintery snack to enjoy on a cold January day!
Made from ingredients that are often found in a well-stocked kitchen, this may become a snack your children will ask for again and again! Like most of our ABC Snacks, these fancy flakes are easy, healthy, and delicious. What more could you ask for?
If you’ve ever cut out a paper snowflake, you’ve already mastered the most important skill needed to create your fancy flake snacks.
Just like real snowflakes, no two fancy flakes will be alike. Each one will be unique…your child’s special creation. My little friends had lots of fun making…and eating…their fancy flakes. I hope you’ll have fun making yours too!
Here’s what you’ll need to make two fancy flakes:
- 2 large flour tortillas
- Food decorator pen
- Safety scissors
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Cinnamon and sugar mixture
- Soften the two tortillas by wrapping them in a paper towel and heating in microwave for about 15 seconds.
- Fold soft tortillas in half and in half again.
- With food decorator pen, draw small triangles along each folded edge and the outer edge of the tortillas.
- Allow your child to cut out the drawn shapes. (Cut on the outside edge of the lines to remove all pen markings.)
- Unfold tortillas and lay flat on baking pan or cookie sheet. Also lay out the cut-out tortilla pieces to make some cinnamon chips.
- Brush tortillas and tortilla pieces with melted butter.
- Sprinkle tortillas and tortilla pieces with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake tortillas at 350° for 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Instead of using a food decorating pen, etch cutting lines with the tip of a knife or toothpick.
Adapted from Happy Hooligans
- As you create your fancy flakes, practice saying /f/–/f/–fancy flakes with your child.
- How many words can you think of that start with the sound of /f/ as in flake?
- While you eat your fancy flakes, read about The Snowy Day in this classic picture book by Ezra Jack Keats.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for Letter F?
Find snacks for letter F and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!