H Is for Handy Hammy Roll-ups
Yum! Get all the deliciousness (and double the fun) of a ham sandwich in these easy-to-make, yummy-to-eat roll-ups.
One of the snacks from my ABC Snacks Series that can double as lunch, Handy Hammy Roll-ups are as fun to make as they are to eat.
Hands-on snacks are the best kind of snacks, and this one is no exception.
Your little ones will be able to help with several of the steps in this kid-friendly recipe.
Everyone should be encouraged to “ham it up” as you work together. Our little helpers certainly did! And they had lots of fun eating them too!
Handy Hammy Roll-ups
Here’s what you’ll need to make eight to ten roll-ups:
- 3 slices deli ham
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese (Whipped cream cheese will be the easiest to spread.)
- 6-9 sweet gherkin pickles, depending on size
- Spread out slices of ham. Remove excess moisture with a paper towel if needed.
- Spread cream cheese on each slice of ham. Spreading with clean fingers may be easiest for some children.
- Place two or three pickles at one end of each ham slice.
- Roll each slice into a log.
- Slice each roll into two or three pieces.
- Mix finely chopped bell pepper, celery, or chives into cream cheese.
- Use dill pickles.
Adapted from Food Network
- As you and your child spread the cream cheese on the ham, practice saying /h/–/h/– handy hammy together.
- Use a butter knife (or your teeth!) to create the letter H in a slice of deli ham.
- Follow up this fun green-pickles-and-ham lunch by reading Green Eggs and Ham together.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks that Start with H?
For snacks that start with H and many more, get the entire series of ABC Snacks Cookbooks with more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!