L Is for Lucky Leprechaun Lunch
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner!
Though we don’t have a pot of gold to share with you here, we do have another great St. Patrick’s Day ABC Snacks idea for you to enjoy with your little leprechauns!
With this holiday-inspired veggie snack, your children will have fun creating and eating a great snack, learning about St. Patrick, and practicing the letter L—all at the same time.
And you never know, this fun-loving leprechaun might even convince your little ones to eat their veggies.
It certainly looks like Corbin and Emma enjoyed eating theirs! Give it a try…and may the luck of the Irish be with you!
Lucky Leprechaun Lunch
Here’s what you’ll need to make this snack for one child:
- Small bowl
- ½ cup ready-made ranch dressing
- Green pepper or zucchini
- 3-4 black olives
- 7-8 baby carrots
- Fill bowl with ranch dressing.
- Arrange a carrot beard around the bottom of bowl.
- Slice each black olive into 3 or 4 thin round slices.
- Cut and arrange green pepper or zucchini pieces to form hat.
- Create a face with slices of olive and carrot.
- Decorate hat with slices of olive and carrot.
- Arrange remaining olive slices around your leprechaun.
- Substitute homemade veggie dip made from your favorite recipe.
- Use any veggies or “dippable” treat your child prefers.
- As you and your child assemble your leprechaun, practice saying /l/–/l/–lucky leprechaun lunch together.
- Can your preschooler make the letter L out of baby carrots? What other letters can he make?
- Read about St. Patrick in this book by Tomie DePaola.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
- Make snacks for every letter of the alphabet with my ABC Snacks series!
Want More Snacks for letter L?
Find snacks for letter L and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!