M Is for Marvelous Mittens
Don’t Put Those Mittens Away!
When winter hangs on and the snow keeps piling up, a bit of extra warmth is just what the weatherman ordered!
But not ALL mittens are for wearing. These mittens are for eating!
After all, when the thermometer plummets, there’s more than one way to stay warm. These toasty mittens won’t keep your fingers warm, but they are sure to warm up your tummy!
So if you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious breakfast to warm up your insides on a chilly winter morning (or anytime), this ABC Snack is the perfect choice!
Marvelous French Toast Mittens
Here’s what you’ll need to make two pairs of marvelous mittens:
- 4 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon and sugar mixture
- Cut four mittens from slices of sandwich bread with a mitten-shaped cookie cutter.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Dip both sides of each mitten into the egg mixture and place on hot skillet.
- Cook both sides of mittens until golden brown.
- Sprinkle warm mittens with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Garnish with seasonal fruit and enjoy!
Adapted from a recipe from Happy Hooligans.
- While you enjoy your French toast mittens, practice saying /m/–/m/–marvelous mittens together.
- How many words can your preschooler think of that start with the sound of /m/ as in marvelous mittens?
- Read Jan Brett’s classic picture book The Mitten together while you gobble up your marvelous mittens.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for M?
Find snacks for M and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!