S Is for Salute Our Soldiers
Just in time for Memorial Day, this easy-peasy ABC Snacks recipe is the perfect way to teach your preschooler about the letter S.
But that’s not all your children will learn while you work on this tasty snack together. As you assemble this fun soldier snack, you can also help your kids understand why we remember and salute the men and women who have served our country as soldiers.
If you want to “bulk up” this patriotic snack for your hungry little one, you can turn it into a filling lunch by adding some beans, taco meat or some chopped veggies. They are delicious to eat and easy to assemble … the perfect snack!
Salute Our Soldiers Snack
Here’s what you’ll need to make this snack for one child:
- 1 small flour tortilla
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ small green tortilla
- Black olives
- Pretzel sticks
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place a white flour tortilla on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Evenly distribute ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese on tortilla.
- Create a helmet by placing half of a green tortilla over the cheese and flour tortilla.
- Position slices of black olives below the helmet to create eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- After removing from the oven, slip two 3-inch pretzel sticks under the sides of the green tortilla to create helmet straps.
- As you and your child assemble your soldier, practice saying /s/–/s/–salute our soldiers together.
- Before adding the items to your soldier’s face, practice creating the letter S with pieces of pretzel, olives, or cheese.
- Read The Wall by Eve Bunting and join a young boy and his father on a visit to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to honor the boy’s grandfather.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for Letter S?
Find snacks for letter S and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!