I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
There’s nothing more relaxing than resting under the branches of a shady tree on a hot summer day.
And now you can make your own shady tree with this creative snack recipe.
In a tasty combination of sweet fruit and salty crunch, this snack is easy to build even for your youngest preschooler. Your little one will be able to put her creativity to the test as she fashions her tree from crunchy pretzel branches and green grape leaves.
If you loved this fun hands-on snack idea, be sure to check out the rest of our ABC Snack recipes!
Tasty Towering Trees
Here’s what you’ll need to make one towering tree:
- 1 pretzel rod
- 15-20 pretzel sticks
- 15-20 green grapes, halved
- Parchment paper
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Create a tree trunk and branches with a pretzel rod and pretzel sticks.
- Create the base of the tree with three or four pretzel sticks.
- Add tree leaves by positioning grape halves around the branches.
- Make an Autumn tree with red grapes or raspberries as leaves. Be sure to scatter a few pieces of fruit on the ground around the base of your tree.
- For a really colorful tree, experiment with using different colored fruit!
Adapted from Fantastic Fun and Learning
- As you and your child make each tree, practice saying /t/–/t/–tasty towering trees together.
- Before you make the branches of your tree, make the letter T with your pretzels.
- While you eat your snack, read The Giving Tree, a Shel Silverstein classic.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks That Start with T?
For snacks that start with T and many more, get the entire series of ABC Snacks Cookbooks with more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!
Photo credit: April Stevenson at The Five Girl Schoolhouse