R Is for Rockin’ Rainbow Skewers
Have you ever seen a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow? Well, if you join us for this yummy snack, you will!
Maybe you’ll want to combine this snack with our Lucky Leprechaun snack. It’s the perfect treat for St. Patrick’s Day–or for any day!
Either way, these easy-to-make fruit skewers from our ABC Snacks series will give even the most persnickety preschooler a rockin’ good time!
Make your skewers with the ingredients listed in the recipe below or let your little one experiment with her own ideas. Just lay out some wooden skewers and a variety of colorful fruits. Your preschooler will love creating her very own fruity rainbow! And as a finishing touch, don’t forgot to add a pot of gold!
Rockin’ Rainbow Skewers
Here’s what you’ll need to make 8 rainbow skewers:
- 8 wooden skewers
- 4 strawberries sliced in half
- 11 oz can mandarin oranges
- 8 oz. can pineapple chunks
- 1 kiwi sliced into 8 chunks
- 8 purple grapes
- 8 blackberries
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- Place fruit slices or chunks on a cutting board next to a stack of wooden skewers.
- Form a rainbow by adding fruit chunks to the skewer in the following order: red, orange, yellow, gree, blue or purple.
- Serve with a pot of gold…uhh…I mean a cup of vanilla yogurt for dipping. Enjoy!
- Create a veggie rainbow and serve with ranch dip.
- Build a rainbow of fruits or veggies on a plate without the skewer and eat it as finger food.
- Use your imagination and build your rainbow from the list of colorful foods below.
- Red foods: strawberries, cherries, cranberries, watermelon, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, radishes, red olives
- Orange foods: cantaloupe, peaches, oranges, apricots, orange bell peppers, carrots, orange tomatoes, pumpkin
- Yellow foods: bananas, pineapple, star fruit, squash, yellow tomatoes, yellow cheeses
- Green foods: grapes, kiwis, cucumbers, celery, lettuce, spinach, bell peppers, green beans, broccoli, pickles, olives
- Purple foods: blackberries, grapes, blueberries, plums, red cabbage, beets, olives
- While you’re building your rainbow skewer, say /r/–/r/–rockin’ rainbow together.
- How many words can you and your preschooler think of that start with the sound of /r/?
- While assembling and eating your fruit skewer, read this book about a boy who wants A Rainbow of My Own.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for Letter R?
Find snacks for letter R and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!