R Is for Rockin’ Rainbow Wraps
In the biblical story of Noah and the ark, a rainbow was a reminder of God’s promises.
The Rockin’ Rainbow Wraps recipe from my ABC Snacks Series promises to deliver a pleasing meal for even the most persnickety preschooler!
Make your wraps with the ingredients listed in the recipe below or let your little one experiment with his own colorful add-ins ideas.
There are so many to choose from!
Just start with chicken nuggets—a perennial kid favorite—and add your child’s choice of colorful ingredients. Together you just might discover a great new lunch idea.
Rockin’ Rainbow Wraps
Here’s what you’ll need to make one rainbow wrap:
- 1 flour or corn tortilla
- 8-10 small chunks of red food, such as cherry tomatoes
- 4 chicken nuggets
- 8-10 small chunks of orange or yellow food, such as cheddar cheese or yellow peppers
- 6-8 chunks of green food, such as green bell peppers
- 2-3 chunks of purple food, such as red onions
- 2 dollops of sour cream
- Place one flour tortilla on a plate.
- Arrange ingredients on the tortilla in the shape of a rainbow. From top to bottom add
Add a dollop of sour cream to the bottom of each end of your rainbow.
Wrap and enjoy!
- Red food chunks
- Chicken nuggets chunks
- Yellow or orange food chunks
- Green food chunks
- Purple food chunks
- Substitute cream cheese, yogurt, or whipped cream for the sour cream.
- Build a rainbow of fruits and veggies on a plate without a tortilla and just eat it as finger food.
- Use your imagination to substitute other colorful foods for the ones listed above.
Try some of these colorful foods:
- Red foods–cherries, cranberries, red grapes, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, radishes, light red kidney beans, beets, hotdogs, lentils, red quinoa, ketchup, tomato sauce, salsa, red olives
- Orange foods–cantaloupe, peaches, oranges, apricots, orange bell peppers, shaved carrots, orange tomatoes, pumpkin, macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes
- Yellow foods–bananas, pineapples, squash, yellow tomatoes, yellow cheeses, scrambled eggs, mustard, pasta, garbanzo beans, quinoa
- Green foods–grapes, kiwis, cucumbers, celery, lettuce, spinach, edamame, bell peppers, green beans, broccoli, bean sprouts, pickles, pesto, lima beans, pickle relish, olives, lentils
- Purple foods–blackberries, grapes, blueberries, plums, red cabbage, beets, raisins, dark red kidney beans, black beans, string beans, olives
Adapted from Live Love Texas
- While you’re building your rainbow wrap, say /r/–/r/–rockin’ rainbow together.
- How many words can you and your preschooler think of that start with the sound of /r/?
- While assembling and eating your wrap, read this book about a boy who wants A Rainbow of My Own.
- Download ABC Snacks: Tips for Working on Pre-Reading Skills for more teaching tips.
Want More Snacks for Letter R?
Find snacks for letter R and more with the ABC Snacks Cookbooks series that includes more than 40 snack recipes for your preschoolers!